https://hbabuilders.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Federal-Protection-Inc.jpg 1350 2250 hbabuilders https://hbabuilders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/hba-white.png hbabuilders2020-03-29 14:08:432020-07-13 14:40:29Security Tips from Federal Protection, Inc.
10 Tips To Prevent Crime In Your Home & Neighborhood
- Thieves look for homes that appear to be empty, so as a deterrent leave a car parked in the driveway, leave on radios or televisions and ask neighbors to provide surveillance. Most burglaries happen between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Burglars want to spend no more than 60 seconds breaking into a home, so make entry more time-consuming by installing deadbolt locks on doors and bars and locks on windows.
- Make a special effort to secure the front door and first-floor windows because those are the two places thieves are most likely to gain entry: Front door 34 percent, first-floor window 23 percent, back door 22 percent, garage 9 percent, basement 4 percent and second floor 2 percent.
- Don’t hide valuables in popular places such as dresser drawers, bedroom closets or freezers. Those are the first places burglars look. Use safes for jewelry and weapons. Favorite items to steal are cash, jewelry, electronic equipment and games, silver, guns and items easily sold to pawn shops, second-hand stores or on the street.
- Reduce rewards of crime by marking valuables with serial numbers that can make them more difficult to pawn or dispose of in some way.
- Trim or clear bushes, hedges, trees and other vegetation that can provide a hiding place for criminals.
- Install porch, yard and motion-detector lights to supplement streetlights.
- Make sure that privacy fences are not providing concealment for criminals.
- Form Neighborhood Watch groups, which involve a partnership between residents and the police.
- If you see something, say something.
Sr. Security & Technology Consultant
Federal Protection, Inc.
US Central & Midwest Region